EventsFacebookTwitterInstagramNewsletterArchivesPhoto GalleryCalendarChannel 12

Projects Around Town

Find it A to Z

Event Info

Document Adlet

DMV Thursdays in Pittsford

Parking in Pittsford

Passport Services

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Where do I obtain a Building Permit?

Building permits may be obtained from the Building Department and are required for various types of structures. Pittsford Town Hall, 11 South Main Street, Pittsford, NY 14534. You may download a building permit application HERE.

What does it cover?

Including but not limited to building construction, additions, alterations or demolition (other than ordinary repairs), swimming pools, signs, storage sheds, decks, basement finish and generators.

What do I need to bring?

Applications for building permits must be accompanied by the appropriate types of information required by the Building Department and may require submission of duplicate copies of plans and specifications, including plot plan drawn to scale. State and local standards and technical specifications apply to any building construction work done within the Town of Pittsford. For more information, call 248-6265.


At what age does my dog need a license?

New York State Law requires that any dog over the age of 4 months be licensed in their local municipality. Proof of rabies vaccination and certification of spaying or neutering, if applicable, are required in order to obtain a license for your dog. Submit the documents along with a completed dog license application and the appropriate fee to the Pittsford Town Clerk's office in person or by mail: 11 S. Main Street, Pittsford NY 14534. Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your documents, the license and the tag. For additional information please call (585) 248-6211 or (585) 248-6240.

Fee schedule:

  • Spayed Female or Neutered Male...$9.00
  • Unspayed Female or Unneutered Male...$17.00

Are there restrictions on my dog?

The town has a dog law in effect which requires that dogs be restrained by a leash not more than eight feet long while off the owner's premises, unless on the premises of another person with that person's permission or unless hunting in the company and under the control of a hunter. Each year the Town of Pittsford conducts a door-to-door dog census during the months of May through October. For more information, call 248-6240.


Can I reserve a room for a meeting?

The Town of Pittsford has several rooms available for meetings. Pittsford residents are welcome to reserve them on a first come, first served basis. Rooms are available for non-profits, Pittsford community groups or residents. Mile Post School and King’s Bend Park lodges can also be used for residents to host small parties. To view some of our facilities, click HERE. To reserve one or check its availability, click HERE.


What are the fencing regulations in Pittsford?

No fence or hedge more than three feet in height shall be erected or be maintained in front of the front setback line. No fence behind the front setback line shall exceed six feet in height. All fences shall be constructed so that the finished side faces outward from the premises with the backers and/or supports facing inward toward the property owner's side of the premises. For more information, call 248-6265.


I want to install a fire alarm, what do I need to do?

A permit is required for all residential and business fire alarm systems. All information is kept strictly confidential. Click the link to obtain a Fire Alarm Permit Form or contact the Fire Marshal's office at 248-6265 to request one.


I have old chemical containers - how can I safely dispose of them?

Monroe County has a hazardous waste collection facility and home owners can contact them at 753-7600 to make arrangements for disposal of the following items: adhesives, aerosols, ammonia, antifreeze, batteries, bleach, boric acid, bowl cleaners, brake cleaners, brake fluid, brush cleaners, cements, charcoal lighters, cleaning fluid, degreasers, disinfectants drain cleaners, drain openers, dry gas, epoxies, ethers, glues, hair dyes, hair removers, iodine, lacquers, (used) motor oil, muriatic acid, nail polish, nail polish removers, oil based paints, oven cleaners, paint removers, paint thinners, permanent wave solutions, photo chemicals, rubbing alcohol, rust removers, solvents, spot removers, turpentine, wood polishes, and wood preservatives. For more information, visit Monroe County's Household Hazardous Waste webpage by clicking HERE.


How do I apply for employment with the Town of Pittsford?

Complete the Monroe County employment application and submit to: Town of Pittsford Human Resources, 11 S. Main Street, Pittsford, NY 14534.

How can I find out what jobs are currently available with the Town of Pittsford?

The town advertises job openings in the Brighton Pittsford Post and on this website.


Our neighbor has old cars next to a barn, is that legal?

The outdoor storage of junk, abandoned or non-operable motor vehicles, or the used parts of vehicles, is prohibited. A vehicle is considered to be a junk vehicle by the Town of Pittsford if it is not validly registered and lacks a current inspection sticker. The owner will be served written notice to remove said vehicle from the premises on which it is located within ten days of the notification. For more information, call 248-6265.


What permits can I get at the Town Hall?

The following licenses/permits are issued by the Town Clerk, upon payment of the appropriate fee and proper documentation. For more information, call 248-6210:

  • Conservation Licenses. Resident & non-resident (fishing, big game, small game, etc.; includes discounted licenses for senior citizens).
  • Dog Licenses (yearly license required for all dogs four months of age & older).
  • Marriage Licenses.
  • Handicapped Parking Permits (no fee).
  • Fireworks Permits ($75.00 fee).
  • Going out-of-Business Licenses (required for all going out-of-business sales).


My mailbox was hit by a town plow, who is responsible for fixing it?

It is the Town Highway Department's policy to replace mailboxes that are damaged by the town during snow plowing operations with a standard rural mailbox and 4" x 4" wood post. Since there is no statutory or legal authority which grants a property owner or resident the right to place a mailbox in the highway right-of-way, replacement of mailboxes is done as a courtesy and only the standard replacement can be provided. For more information, call 248-6270.


I have a commercial strucure, are there specific requirements for numbering the outside?

All buildings shall bear or display at least one set of the street numbers assigned to it. Such numbers shall be Arabic in design and be a minimum of four (4) inches in height, or they may be in Script form of equal size and equally legible and visible, and mounted in a secure fashion to the building's front wall, or to a porch or fixed appurtenance. Street numbers should be illuminated at night and trees and shrubs shall not block said numbers. For more information, call 248-6265.


What are the Town snow storm and winter parking restrictions?

Parking of any vehicle on public highways is prohibited from November 15th to April 1st.

Is there designated parking for Town Hall visitors?

Yes. Convenient parking is located immediately behind Town Hall, within a few steps of the door. Six spots have been designated for up to 30 minutes of free parking while you visit the offices inside this facility.


Can I apply for a passport in Pittsford?

Passport Express, a service provided by the Monroe County Clerk's office, is available in Pittsford Town Hall, 11 S. Main Street, Wednesdays, from 9AM to 4PM. Your application will be processed and passport photos may be taken at this mobile location. No appointment is necessary.

For further information, please contact the County Clerk's office at (585)753-1600 or visit the Monroe County web site at


We own a large lot - can we subdivide?

The Town of Pittsford Planning Board is comprised of 7 volunteer residents appointed by the Town Board. The Planning Board is charged with review and approval of subdivision plans and site plans. Subdivision approval is required when someone wishes to subdivide a property into two or more parcels.

How does the town control growth; keep its rural charm?

The subdivision approval process is designed to provide for the orderly growth and coordinated development of the Town and is designed to safeguard the community and assure that the requirements and standards for land subdivision protect the public health, safety and welfare. Coordinated development is achieved through a technical plan review process by a development review committee which consists of some 13 Town, County and State agencies, neighboring communities and interested residents. The site plan approval process is similar except that it deals with the development of non-residential structures and/or additions. Review regulates location of buildings, parking lots, lights, landscaping and any other site improvements. For more information, call 248-6260.


Do I need to register in the town to contract to citizens?

Firms or corporations conducting the business of plumbing within the town are required to obtain an annual plumbing license from the Building Department prior to conducting such business. State and local regulations apply to all plumbing work, as well as installation, alteration or repair of wiring for electrical lights, heat or power and signal systems operating fifty (50) volts or more, in or on any real property within the town.


Are there restrictions on junk and outdoor maintenance?

Property owners should keep their premises free of all litter, physical hazards, rodent harborage and infestation, stagnant ponds of water due to improper drainage and other unsafe, unclean or unsightly conditions. Any discarded refrigerators stored in a place accessible to children must have any locking devices and all doors completely removed. Brush, grass and weeds should be cut, trimmed and removed. These property maintenance requirements apply to residential, commercial and industrial properties alike. For more information, call 248-6265.


Who collects garbage in Pittsford?

Garbage is picked up by private collectors. Property owners are responsible for arranging for regular collection from their premises and for providing sufficient receptacles. Special arrangements must be made through a private hauler regarding collection of used tires or additional household items other than trash (such as fencing, bedding, rugs, appliances, etc.).

Does Pittsford recycle?

Under county and town law residents are required to recycle newsprint, glass and plastic materials.


Where do I pay my school tax?

Full payment is due on October 1. ( If the first falls on a weekend, payment is due the next business day.) Full payment plus 2% interest can be paid at Town Hall or mailed to Linda M. Dillon, Receiver, 11 S. Main Street, Pittsford, NY 14534 through October 31 ONLY. Call the Pittsford Town tax office at (585) 248-6215 if you have questions on the amount due.

From November 1 - 18 full payment plus 5% interest will be accepted only by the Monroe County Treasury. Make check payable to Monroe County Treasurer and send to P.O. Box 14420, Rochester, NY 14614, or pay in person at 39 West Main Street, Room B-2, Rochester. Call Treasury at (585) 753-1200 if you have questions on the amount due.

If you are making installments, the second and third payments are due on or before October 15 and November 15. Make check payable to Monroe County Treasurer and send to P.O. Box 14420, Rochester, NY 14614, or pay in person at 39 West Main Street, Room B-2, Rochester.

Any remaining balance after November 18 will be relevied to your next year Town and County tax bill.


I am going to dig a trench, can the town help?

Crews are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year, for emergency service and repair of underground sanitary and storm water facilities. The staff is also available to assist in the location of town-owned underground utilities when property owners are planting trees, setting fences, digging pools, etc. We welcome the opportunity to be of service!

Who do I contact in a sewer emergency?

The Operations Center is located at 3899 Monroe Avenue and is open weekdays from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. You can phone the office at 248-6490. If you have a sewer emergency on weekends, holidays or after normal business hours, help can be obtained by phoning 248-6212.


I want to put a sign on my building, what do I need?

A permit must be obtained from the Building Inspector before any sign, temporary or permanent, may be erected, altered, moved, or changed. Excluded from the permit requirements are traffic control, governmental, and street name signs. An application for a sign permit must be accompanied by a scale drawing showing dimensions, proposed design, the legend, colors, materials, structural details, and a location or plot plan specifying other required information.

Are there restrictions on size?

Height and size restrictions apply, and all signs must be maintained in good repair, free from all hazards, such as faulty wiring and loose fastenings, with neatly maintained display surfaces. For more information, call 248-6265.


Do I need an appointment to talk with the Town Supervisor?

Town Supervisor William A. Smith, Jr maintains an open door policy and is pleased to have the opportunity to invite residents into his office. Drop-ins are welcome. The Town Supervisor's office is located in Town Hall, 11 S. Main Street. When not in meetings, Mr. Smith answers his phone at (585) 248-6220, and regularly reads and responds to email. If you prefer an appointment, please call the Town Supervisor's Assistant, Betsy Mehlrose, at (585) 248-6221.


Where do I pay my Town and County taxes?

Full payment and first installment payments are due February 10. If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, payment is accepted on the first business day after the weekend or holiday. Payment can be made online via the town's Web site or in person at Town Hall, 11 S. Main Street or at Canandaigua National Bank, 18 State Street, Pittsford. NOTE: If first installment is not paid by February 10, total bill plus interest is due.

After February 10, interest accrues at the rate of 1½% per month; 18% per year. For details, please consult the schedule printed on the back of your tax bill.

If you are making installments, the second and third payments are due on or before February 28 and March 31.

Online payments and payments made to the Town Tax Receiver will be accepted through May 31 ONLY. After May 31, payment must be made to Monroe County Treasurer, P.O. Box 14420, Rochester, NY 14614, or pay in person at 39 West Main Street, Room B-2, Rochester. Call 753-1200 for amount due.


How do I register to vote?

  • You can register in person at the Monroe County Board of Elections, 39 W. Main Street, Rochester (Mondays through Fridays, 9AM - 5PM)
  • You can call 585-753-1550 to request a voter application be mailed to you.
  • You can send an email to request a voter application be mailed to you.
  • You can download a NYS Voter Registration Form. Print the form, complete and sign it, and mail to the Monroe County Board of Elections, 39 W. Main Street, Rochester, NY 14614

Your completed application must be mailed or delivered to Monroe County Board of Elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you want to vote.

What are the qualifications to register to vote?

  • You must be 18 years of age by the date of the election in which you want to vote
  • You must be a United States Citizen
  • You must be a resident of Monroe County for 30 days prior to the election
  • You must not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction
  • You must not be claiming the right to vote elsewhere

Where do I go to vote?

The Town Clerk's staff are able to answer questions regarding your election district, polling site locations, and voting hours. Please call (585) 248-6211 for their assistance.

What are the qualifications for absentee voters?

A voter may qualify to vote by absentee ballot if their duties, occupation, business or vacation requires them to be absent from their county of residence on election day or if they will be confined by illness, physical disability or for some other reason either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Download an application form.

How do I change my party enrollment or other information?

  • Once you register, you are permanently registered unless you move.
  • Name, address or party enrollment changes can be made by submitting a new registration form.
  • If you move, your notice of change of address must be received by the Board of Elections up to:
  • 25 days before the election in which you seek to vote if mailed.
  • Or, 20 days before the election in which you seek to vote if applying in person.
  • After notifying the County Board of Elections you may call for your new polling site where you will be allowed to vote on a paper ballot.
  • A change of enrollment takes effect following the first general election occurring at least 25 days after the form is filed.

Where can I pick up a voter registration application in Pittsford?

Registration forms are available at Town Hall, 11 S. Main Street, the Community Library, 24 State Street, Wegmans on Monroe Avenue, at most banks and the Pittsford Post Office, 5607 Palmyra Road, Pittsford - (585) 586-1230.


I want to redo my landscaping, are there restrictions close to the road?

Permission for all work within the town's right-of-way must be approved by permit by the town's Highway Superintendent. This includes: construction within the right-of-way, driveways, fences, as well as the planting of trees, shrubbery and any ornamental landscaping (such as berms, rocks, and flowers). Sprinkler systems and/or invisible fencing are not allowed within the right-of-way and the Town will not be responsible for any damage to them.


When will leaf collection begin in my neighborhood?

Beginning in late October, our crews will be in your neighborhood to collect loose leaves approximately every two weeks. Recycling guidelines:

  • Separate leaves from other yard debris
  • Consolidate small piles of leaves into larger piles for expedited service
  • For weekly pickup, we recommend the bagged and containerized collection

For service details, please view our program guidelines and pickup schedules. Questions? Please call the towns' Highway Department at (585) 248-6270.